Services Offered at Leicester Terrace Health Centre...
- personal medical services,
- maternity care,
- minor surgery,
- child health surveillance
and the following additional services.
- Practice Nurses Healthy Eating Help is available to individuals and groups for weight reduction. Healthy eating is part of the treatment of heart disease, diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure and depression. Ask your Doctor or Nurse for details.
- Emergency Clinics Practice Nurses provide minor illness clinics. When you telephone or call in for an emergency appointment you will be given one with a Minor Illness Nurse who has been trained in this area.
- Asthma All aspects of asthma care and follow-up are given at the practice during sessions run by our Practice Nurses with Doctor supervision.
- Diabetes and Heart Disease Clinics These are with the nurse for annual check and blood tests and then with ‘usual’ doctor 10 days later to review results and treatment. Reminders will be sent to patients.
- Cervical Smears These are usually carried out by Practice Nurses.
- Family Planning Our Practice Nurses provide repeat contraception services. Our Family Planning Nurse can discuss starting or changing contraception and give help with contraception problems.
- Well Person Checks General health check and advice is given on reducing risk of disease.
- Smoking Cessation Information about how to stop smoking is available from the NHS Helpline 0800 1690171 or their website www.givingupsmoking.co.uk. Information about local smoking cessation groups in the community can be obtained by ringing (01604) 615272. Practice Nurses also run regular clinics to help patients who want to stop smoking. Please ask Reception for details.
- Travel Advice And Travel Vaccinations Please discuss your travel plans with a Practice Nurse at least six weeks before departure to identify vaccination requirements and programme. If you decide to have your vaccinations at the surgery, there may be a charge for this service. The Nurse will inform you of these costs and you will be required to pay at Reception before the vaccinations are given. Please do not underestimate the cost of travel vaccines when planning your holiday. A telephone call to the surgery to check vaccination costs prior to confirming your holiday booking is advisable. There is a travel clinic called MASTA at Newport Pagnell Medical Centre MK16 8QT and the phone number is 0330 100 4268 that is open to the public. Their charges are sometimes different to ours and a call to them may be worthwhile.
Audiology We do not offer hearing tests. You can carry out an initial hearing test yourself by telephoning a service called "Hearing Test by Telephone" (sponsored by the Royal Institute for the Deaf) on 0845 600 5555. At the end of this, if you still feel you have a problem, please make an appointment to see your GP.
- Wound Care For wound care issues such as ulcers, burns and removal of stitches, please make an appointment to see a Minor Illness Nurse.
- Health Visitors Child Surveillance Clinic At Surgery. Baby Clinic There is a “Drop-in” clinic; check with the health visitors for the times of this clinic. No appointment is necessary. Child Immunisation Clinic At surgery (practice has 90% record of immunisations). Advice to Carers Postnatal Support Group
- District Nurses They provide nursing care at home for patients unable to attend surgery due to age or disability. This includes nursing assessment, wound care, assessment in continence, advice to carers and health promotion.
- Midwife Mothers-to-be are seen regularly either by the Midwife or Doctor throughout the pregnancy. Parentcraft classes are run by the Midwife.